Monday, January 14, 2013

Eggplant with Creamy Feta & Mint Dressing


When I was growing up, I loved having dinner at my friends house. They always foods that never appeared on my parents dinner table and I thought that it was so awesome to try new things. I learned that my enthusiasm for trying new things was not shared by most of my friends living on my block. I'd invite kids over for dinner all of the time, but the invitation was rarely accepted. 

Finally, my mom spoke to one of my friends moms to formally invite her over. My friends mom said that she could go, but that she probably wouldn't eat anything... unless my mom doused it in ketchup. Oh, and it had to be Heinz ketchup. My mom sent my dad to the store to buy a bottle of ketchup. My friend came over and ate everything that was offered to her, with ketchup.

I giggle at that memory and admit that I often use a similar strategy to get my kids to try new things. My weapon of choice isn't ketchup. My arsenal includes bacon, butter and various cheese sauces. With the addition of one of these, whatever is hiding underneath will be a sure-fire hit.

Here, we've grilled some eggplant and made a quick sauce using feta and mint. It was a big hit, and not a drop of ketchup in sight! The Creamy Feta and Mint Dressing will be used throughout the rest of the week on sandwiches and as a dip for after school veggie snacks!


Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Feta & Mint Dressing


Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Feta & Mint

Ingredients

2 medium sized eggplants, sliced in roundskosher salt
8 ounces feta cheese
4 ounces Creme Fraiche
1/3-1/4 cup water (3 to 5 Tablespoons)
small handful of mint, about 3 Tablespoons
3 Tablespoons olive oil
freshly cracked black pepper

Directions


1. Sprinkle each slice (top and bottom) of the eggplant with kosher salt and lay out on paper towel, while you're making the dressing.
2. In an immersion blender cup, combine the feta, mascarpone, 3 tablespoons of water, and the mint. Season with 4 or 5 turns of your pepper grinder. Puree with immersion blender. If it is too thick, thin out with another tablespoon or two of water.
3. Gently rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry. Brush with olive oil and place on a grill or a hot grill pan.
4, When they are tender-a matter of five or six minutes on each side-and appetizingly charred in patches, lift them off the grill and place on a serving dish. Leave them to cool a little, then serve with the creamy feta and mint dressing!

Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment