Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bacon & Egg Carbonara




This winter season has been odd at the farmers market. A few weeks ago I bought cabbage, parsnips and turnips. My hands were cold when I was picking out the produce,  so I didn't really get to "feel" them. When I got home, all of the items were soggy and not crisp. Around NY, there isn't as much variety during colder months. 


Bacon & Egg Carbonara

It also depends on the day of the week that you go. So I had a lot working against me when I went last week on a super cold Wednesday morning. Stone Arch Farms had a small display of baked goods and a few dozen gorgeous eggs. The truth is that I bypassed the stand and continued walking through the market. But then I came back.

It's very rare that I can admit to letting the kids get the better of me. But here, I'll share that I'm a victim of succumbing to the kids request. What request? "Let. Us. POP. The. Yolk. PLEEAAAAASSEEEEEEE."  Sheesh. Of all of the things that I deny them, this pleasure I have to let them have. They love popping the yolk and then mixing it in with the hot pasta and cream sauce. Check the picture with the kids bowls... you'll see that the littlest one (on the far right) popped her yolk as I was taking pictures.


Seriously, the ingredients accidentally ended up near each other


Gently render the fat out of the bacon


Remove bacon from skillet




Saute onion and garlic, in the rendered bacon fat, until lightly browned


Add frozen peas, half and half (or CREAM!!!) and parmesan. Warm through



The picture plate and the kids dinner plates (popped yolk on the right)

Bacon & Egg Carbonara

Serves 5

Ingredients

12 ounces bacon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 small onion, diced
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup grated parmesan
3/4 cup heavy cream (I didn't have cream today and used half and half. Go ahead and call the authorities)
10 ounce frozen peas
2 tablespoons parsley, fine chiffonad (plus more to garnish)
10-12 ounces long pasta, cooked as per instructions (
reserve 1 cup of hot pasta water)
5 egg yolks
parmesan slivers to garnish
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions

1. With skillet hot on Medium/High heat. Saute bacon until fat has rendered and the bacon has just started to crisp. Don't overcook the bacon! Remove from skillet, onto a paper towel lined bowl and reserve.
2. Into the rendered bacon fat, add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions have started to get a golden color.
3. Add peas, parmesan, heavy cream (or half and half if you forgot to buy heavy cream; D'OH!!!) and parsley. Saute to heat the peas through. 
4. Add pasta and coat with the sauce. Add some pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
5. Divide pasta between 5 bowls. 
6. Top with egg yolk and reserved bacon pieces.  Mix to combine.
7. Taste and add Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with parmesan slivers and parsley.

Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment